Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Meatballs



I feel like I'm not very authentic when it comes to spaghetti and meatballs. The reason being that I don't really have any desire to make my own tomato sauce. But I love these meatballs and don't mind taking time to make them. In most recipes I've switched over to ground turkey or ground chicken but I can't cheat for this recipe. I did it once and will never do it again. Also, this recipe is based on 1 lb. of ground beef. I typically only use half a pound of ground beef when cooking for my family. So, when I make these, I'll freeze half of the meatballs to use later.

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
2 slices wheat bread
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp.salt
dash of garlic powder
dash of red wine vinegar
1 tsp. basil

In medium bowl mix beef, parsley, egg, garlic and Parmesan cheese. Take the bread and get it wet under running water. Squeeze to get out the water and break up into bowl. Also add black pepper, salt, garlic powder, red wine vinegar and basil. Mix all ingredients together for a few minutes - the mixture should be firm. Roll into 1" meatballs.

Using a non-stick frying pan (there should be no need to add cooking spray if using a non-stick pan), brown the meatballs on medium high heat. Meatballs should be seared to a dark brown. After the meatballs are browned, turn heat down to medium and finish cooking or add them to tomato sauce to finish cooking.

No comments: